The guiding principles of the program are closely aligned with Viewpoint’s Mission. Responsive Classroom believes that:
- The social and emotional curriculum is as important as the academic curriculum.
- How children learn is as important as what they learn.
- Great cognitive growth occurs through social interaction.
- Knowing the children we teach – individually, culturally, and developmentally – is as important as knowing the content we teach.
- How the faculty works together is as important as how they teach.
Viewpoint teachers utilize these principles to promote in their students improved social and academic skills, character development, and a love of learning.